#70 - Paul Mac
After following the familiar UK path of Electro/Hip Hop/Acid House/Techno it has now been 25 years since Paul Mac started DJing and he has been producing for nearly 20. It is probably fair to call him a veteran of the scene.
Paul’s recent production exploits have included his ’Space, Space And More Space EP’ for Tortured, ‘Unreserved EP’ for Clutch Trax, remixes of Ritzi Lee’s ‘Fire’ (Tortured) and Snello’s ‘No More Pleasure’ (Metodiq), not to mention his highly collectable ‘Archived Tracks’ series on Stimulus, on top of an ever-present DJ schedule. Oh and not forgetting two absolute belters for EPM and our 40th release: ‘Go Back To Go Forward’ and ‘Jam The Dam Box’. Paul Mac, we salute you!
Q&A with Paul Mac
1. One hour doesn’t give you the full range of DJ expression but would you say this mix is pretty indicative of your DJ sets?
Yeah I’d say this is a good indication of where I am right now. For podcasts I like to select only very new tracks and hopefully not repeat anything. There is so much good new stuff out there it seems to be the best way to go these days.
2. What were your first experiences of dance music? When did you get the bug?
Being of more advanced years than most it was through electro tapes and radio back around 1984-1985 ish.
3. What music were you buying at the time?
Almost exclusively Electro and Hip Hop at the time.
4. Can you remember your first studio set up?
Yeah vividly in all it’s Atari and Casio glory.
5. Was it a long learning curve to work your way around a studio and start producing tracks?
At the time it certainly felt like it but from buying my first equipment to signing my first record was a round a year. I was pretty obsessed and consulate making tracks in those early days though.
6. For a lot of people in and around London, Lost was the techno Mecca. Can you remember the first time one of your records was played there?
Yeah it was a Burundi party and Derrick May played it. When I began that was a goal of mine to hopefully one day hear someone like Derrick play one of my tunes at Lost. It was a massive validation thing that made me think “oh maybe I can make tracks after all.”
7. What can you tell us about your Fokus Group partnership with Ben Sims?
It’s on hold at the moment but essentially it’s a fun project for us to try and make music out of the ordinary from what we would normally do. It’s a head ache to sync schedules to get time to dedicate to it currently though.
8. Having travelled extensively as a DJ is there anywhere that really surprised you in terms of club culture?
I remember playing in Macedonia a few years ago for NYE and the sheer scale of the event and how educated the crowd was caught me off guard a little. Generally nowadays the culture is pretty ingrained just about everywhere though.
9. It’s been a few years now since your last album, ‘Hotel Insomnia’. Any more album plans in the pipeline?
Yeah actually I’m working on two at the moment. One a House influenced one under my Jorge Zamacona guise and another very experimental kind of thing again under another guise. I’d rather keep under wraps for now :)
10. What’s your all time electro top 10?
A near impossible task but 10 that spring to mind off my head
1, Kraftwerk - Numbers
2, Drexciya - Living On The Edge
3, High Fidelity Three - B Boys Breakdance (instrumental)
4, Egyptian Lover - Girls
5, Visage - Frequency
6, The Russell Brothers - The Party Scene
7, Electric Soul - X2 (instrumental)
8, The Knights Of The Turntables - Fresh Mess
9, Drexciya - Hydro Cubes
10, Exocet - Safety Zone
EPM Podcast 70 – Paul Mac tracklist
Callum Plant - Xhang
Cotton Crown - X6 (Mark Broom Edit)
Deepa Biri - Circular Sector
Dave Tarrida - Grief
Paul Mac - Jack The Dam Box
PEARL - Station 1
Alec Martin - Sociopath
Oliver Kucera - That Sound Two Hands Make
Mark Forshaw - Peer Pressure (Daniel Andresson Remix)
Valmay - Because Of That
Sleep archive - Window 057 (Oscar Mulero)
HYSH - Bell 47
Mslwte & Steve Stoll - E121
Kamikaze Space Programme - Vespa PX
? - Attack
Ambivalent - Chronos (Truncate Remix)
Gareth Wild - Duster (UVB Dusted Remix)
Paul Mac - Stripes
Dot Out - People
? - Tree’s and Sausages
Felix Lorusso – HMN
Ingen & Dronelock - Pearls (Valmay Remix)